Engaging young volunteers is an investment in the future.
Youth volunteerism promotes positive lifestyle choices, enhances psychological, intellectual and social development, and boosts self-confidence and self-esteem. It nurtures caring values and provides real life experience by helping others.
These are just a few of the reasons how service enhances the lives of young people. It is our mission to connect our students to our community in order to promote equity - to get their collective "feet in the doors" - offering real life experiences. Students participate in the processes that shape our community socially, politically, and economically.
Our bottom line is service to others - first and foremost. These service opportunities often lead to internships, jobs or mentorships. Often our students are celebrated and supported by our community because of their willingness to learn, grow, and change.
What does community service do for our community?
- It extends services and increases an organizations resources used to meet clients' needs.
- It frees staff for specialized tasks, increasing productivty.
- It informs people about a cause.
- Organizations find renewed energy and enthusiasm from young volunteers who are open to new ideas.
- It builds a homegrown workforce.
- It taps into the energy and talents of our youth.
- It changes the image of youth, as they are seen as productive, active community members.
- It fosters a greater sense of community as adults partner with youth.
Community service challenges students to look beyond themselves and see the common good. It allows them to put their talents and skills to good use, try new things, and meet new people - not just to learn about the world, but how to change the world.
These opportunities add substance to their college applications and resume, and help them to explore career options.
Last, but not least, volunteers have fun!